The place it all began
Taking care of an icon
In 1840, when William Jacob settled on a small piece of land next to an unnamed creek, he would have never dreamed that it would one day become an icon of premium wine, known around the world. Today visitors to the Jacob’s Creek Visitor Centre can enjoy the creek and its surrounding area and even a small cottage William and his family built all those years ago.
But even the best of us need a little TLC every now and then. And that’s why we took it upon ourselves to look after the creek and its surrounding area. With the help of other landowners and the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges NRM Board, we started tackling the weed infestation of the creek and flood plains. Our main focus was the removal of introduced plants that had, over the years, crowded out native plants, damaging the habitat and food resources for our native animals.
In less than 20 years, the transformation here has been extraordinary. Remnant patches of scrub and riparian plant communities are now healthier and due to our replanting efforts swathes of native plant and trees are thriving. The creek also hosts a more diverse population of native animals, in and out of the water.
Along with our other environmental efforts we are committed to ensuring that these improvements are maintained, and the survival of some of the most fragile native animals and plants is secured. This is an on-going project, which relies on many hours of hard work and dedication from our employees and the support of the local community, for which we are forever grateful.