recipes > Double cooked pork belly with Chinese master stock
A little star anise give this roast pork belly a delicious Asian twist.
For pork belly:
- 1.5 piece pork belly
- 1 small carrot sliced
- 1 brown onion peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 8 black peppercorns
- 300 ml white wine
- 8 parsley stalks
For Chinese master stock:
- 2 star anise
- 2 slices liquorice root
- 1 cassia or cinnamon quill
- 2 pieces dried mandarin or orange peel
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan pepper
- Pinch fennel seeds
- 2 cardomom pods
- 100 grams sugar
- 500 mls water
- 150 mls light soy
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger
- 1 cup reduced chicken stock
Method for the pork:
- Pre heat the oven to 150⁰C.
- Place the prepared carrot, onion, celery and parsley into the bottom of a roasting pan. Pour in the wine and then just cover the pork with water.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminium foil.
- Place into the preheated oven and cook for approximately 2 hours.
- Once the pork is tender remove from the roasting dish. Strain and reserve the liquid discard the solids. The liquid can be reduced with a little stock to make a sauce for another recipe.
- Place the pork belly onto a clean flat tray, cover the surface of the pork with a piece of baking paper. Place a flat tray on the top and weigh down with cans. Place in the refrigerator and leave overnight.
To prepare the pork for the next cook:
- With a sharp knife trim the pork into a neat square. Place a small amount of oil on the surface of the pork then cut the pork into the number of portions required. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Preheat a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Place the pork skin side down in the frying pan to crisp and cook to a golden brown. Then place the pork portions onto an oven tray and place in the preheated oven to warm through.
For the Chinese master stock:
- Place all in a saucepan over a low heat stir to dissolve the sugar. Allow to simmer to reduce by half. Once the master stock has reduced add the chicken stock to blend out the sauce.
- Serve with steamed green beans drizzled with a little sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds and the Chinese Master Stock.
Notes and tips:
- Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the pork belly.
- The pork belly will reduce in size during the cooking process.
- The cooking liquid can be reduced with some stock and frozen to be used for another recipe.
- The Chinese Master Stock can be made ahead of time and gently reheated.
Double Barrel Shiraz
Enhance the flavours of this dish with this savoury shiraz.See more about this wine
How about another course
Discover more recipes from Jacob's creek
Sign-up for our latest news, events and offers from Jacob's CreekSign-up