recipes > Jacqui Alwill’s Miso Trout
Jacqueline Alwill from The Brown Paper Bag shares a special dish inspired by her childhood living in Japan – which she credits as having a monumental impact on her life.
Many people make me who I am; my friends, my family, my mini human (Jet) and the insane community I have surrounding me through my work. But, when I think about the people who have sculpted who I am today, it is absolutely my two incredible parents. They have been without doubt the strongest and most supportive people to me and I am forever grateful for everything they do.
Visit The Brown Paper Bag.
2 pieces of ocean trout, 100g each
· 1 tablespoon shiso leaves *
1 tablespoon white miso paste
· 2 teaspoons tamari **
· 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
· 1 tablespoon sesame oil
· 1 tablespoon maple syrup
100g baby spinach leaves
· olive oil
· 1 tablespoon crushed walnuts
· 1 teaspoon tamari
· Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray
with greaseproof paper.
- Season salmon with sea salt and place trout
in the oven, skin side down, and cook for 6 minutes (for medium rare).
- Whilst salmon is cooking whisk together the
ingredients for miso drizzle in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove trout from oven and allow to rest for
a couple of minutes while you prepare the spinach.
- Heat a dollop of olive oil in a large frying
pan on medium heat. Add the spinach.
- Use tongs to toss the spinach until it is
- Remove from heat and toss through the crushed
walnuts, tamari and season with sea salt.
- To serve, place ohitashi spinach slightly off
centre on the plate.
- Spoon half the miso onto plate to the side of
- Place trout over miso
and spinach and then drizzle the remainder of the miso over the fish.
- Dot the plate with shiso leaves and serve.
* Shiso is a widely used Asian herb, belonging to the mint family. You can replace Shiso with basil or mint.
** Tamari is a thick sauce, similar to soy
sauce. It is readily available in the continental aisle of most supermarkets,
or specialty Asian grocers.
Reserve Adelaide Hills Chardonnay
The perfect accompanimentSee more about this wine
How about another course
Discover more recipes from Jacob's creek
Sign-up for our latest news, events and offers from Jacob's CreekSign-up