recipes > LAMB CASSEROLE WITH CREAMY POTATO MASH
This lamb casserole is made with a slight twist and sure to delight.
- 1 1/2 kgs lamb shoulder diced into 1” cubes
- 2 medium brown onions peeled and neatly diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and neatly diced
- 3 sticks celery string removed and neatly diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and neatly chopped
- 300 mls tomato passatta
- 300 mls stock (beef or chicken)
- 1 cup Jacob’s Creek Classic Shiraz
- A dash of Jameson Black Barrel Irish Whisky
- Water if required
- Chopped parsley
- Oil for cooking
- 8 tablespoons plain our approximately
Place a little oil in a pot large enough to cook the lamb. Sauté the onion, carrot and celery until softened. Add the garlic cook for a few seconds. Remove and set aside.
Dust the lamb with the our, shake off any excess. Place a little oil in the pot and brown the lamb in batches. Removing after each batch has browned and set aside.
Once all the lamb has been browned add a little water to remove the sediment from the bottom of the pot. Add the browned lamb and the sautéed vegetables, stock, wine, tomato passatta back into the pot and enough water to just cover the ingredients.
Cook over a low heat for approximately 90-120 minutes or until the meat is tender and the liquid has reduced.
Check and stir during the cooking time adding a little stock or water if the sauce is reducing too quickly.
Once the meat is cooked add the chopped parsley season with salt and pepper. Serve with freshly made creamy mashed potato.