recipes > Smoked Salmon Canapés
Whip up a plate of these stylish bites for your Easter get-together - the combination of smoked salmon, sour cream, dill and pickles is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream
- 6 gherkins, drained, finely chopped
- 8 smoked salmon slices, torn in half
- Dill sprigs, to serve1 lime, cut into wedges
- 11/4 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 large egg, separated
- 300ml whole milk, at room temperature
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (75g) buckwheat flour
- Pinch of salt, extra
- Butter, extra, to fry
- To make the canapé bases, combine the yeast, sugar, 21/2 tbs of the plain flour and ½ cup (125ml) lukewarm water in a large bowl. Set aside for 15 mins or until foamy.
- Whisk in the egg yolk, milk, butter, honey, salt, remaining plain flour and buckwheat flour until a smooth batter forms. Cover and set aside for 3 hours to rest.
- Beat the egg white and extra salt in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into the batter in 3 batches.
- Melt a little extra butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add 1-tbs portions of the batter to the pan and cook for 2 mins or until golden underneath. Turn and cook for a further 1-2 mins or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat in batches with more butter and remaining batter to make 16 canapé bases.
- Arrange the canapé bases on a serving platter. Top with sour cream, gherkin and smoked salmon. Season with pepper. Top with dill and serve with lime wedges.
Le Petit Rosé
A fresh Rosé compliments the delicate flavours of the smoked salmon.See more about this wine
How about another course
Discover more recipes from Jacob's creek
Sign-up for our latest news, events and offers from Jacob's CreekSign-up