REECE’S CARROT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE ICE CREAM AND BEETROOT CARAMEL
A MASTERCHEF TAKE ON A CLASSIC CARROT CAKE WITH A TWIST
This is the ultimate vegan carrot cake! With cream cheese ice cream and beetroot caramel, this will be your next go to dessert. Perfectly paired with Jacob’s Creek Le Petit Rosé.
- 220g soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 90g extra virgin olive oil
- 50g aquafaba
- 200g self raising flour
- 210g caster sugar
- 110g Dutch carrots, grated
- 50g plain flour
- 40g vegan butter
Sweet Soy Ice cream
- 450g vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh soy milk fresh soy milk
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 250g beetroot, juiced
- 1 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- ¼ cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 Tango Red capsicum
- Preheat oven to 180C. Pre-chill ice cream machine.
- For the Carrot Cake, line and grease 4 x 10cm springform tins.
- Place soy milk, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and aquafaba into a small jug and mix well then set aside for 5 minutes until mixture has curdled.
- In a separate bowl mix together self raising flour, 160g caster sugar and grated carrot. Add the soy milk mixture in 3 batches, ensuring each addition is well incorporated. Pour into prepared tins.
- Place the plain flour, remaining 50g sugar and butter into a small bowl and rub between fingertips to a crumble. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter. Bake until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow cakes to cool in their tins.
- For the Sweet Soy Ice Cream, place cream cheese in the canister of a stick blender and process until smooth. Place soy milk and sugar into a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Add to cream cheese mixture then process until combined.
- Pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place into the freezer until required.
- For the Beetroot Caramel, place sugar and water into a saucepan over high heat. Using a wet pastry brush, brush down the inside of the saucepan to prevent crystallisation. Cook to a dark caramel then remove from the heat. Whisk in beetroot juice and cream cheese. Add soy milk, vegan butter, thyme leaves and capsicum then return to the heat for 1 minute. Pass caramel through a sieve into a jug and set aside for serving.
- To serve, place a Carrot Cake onto each serving plate. Top with a generous scoop of Sweet Soy Ice Cream and drizzle of Beetroot Caramel.