SPANNER CRAB NASI GORENG
MATT SINCLAIR’S SPANNER CRAB NASI GORENG IS THE PERFECT BOLD INDONESIAN MEAL FOR EASY AND RELAXED ENTERTAINING.
Matt’s Spanner Crab Nasi Goreng is inspired by bold Indonesian street food dishes from his travels. Paired perfectly with the ultimate Aussie Jacob’s Creek Sparkling Reserve Chardonnay Pinot Noir to balance out the spice.
- 500gm Spanner crab meat
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice, chilled
- ¼ wombok, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 Brown onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger, sliced
- 2 long red chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 60ml vegetable oil
- ½ bunch coriander leaves (1/2 cup)
- 40gm roasted granulated peanuts
- 4 eggs, fried
- ½ cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Ketcup Manis
- In a food processor add all Nasi paste ingredients and blitz on high into a paste.
- Place into an airtight container and refrigerate. Leave ideally overnight.
- Place a wok or deep frypan over high heat, add vegetable oil and fry off nasi paste, moving constantly around the pan until the oil splits away from the paste and darkens in colour, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the spanner crab to the pan and toss to coat evenly for 1-2 minutes until the crab is slightly opaque.
- Add the rice and stir through quickly to coat in the fried nasi crab.
- Add wombok and carrot and toss to combine.
- Add soy sauce and stir-fry until vegetables soften slightly, approximately 1 minute.
- Lay out onto a large platter and garnish with fried eggs, coriander leaves, sliced cucumber and a drizzle of ketcup manis.
- Serve immediately.