At our Jacob’s Creek winery in South Australia, we are committed to Sustainability & Responsibility in a bid to create a world without excess.
- Our Winery in South Australia, and 100% of our owned Jacob’s Creek Vineyards are certified Sustainable Winegrowing Australia. We are working with our growing partners to do the same by 2030, ensuring every grape that goes into our wine has been grown to local sustainability standards.
- Our Winery in South Australia, and 100% of our owned Jacob’s Creek Vineyards are certified to ISO14001: Environmental Management Systems. This certification commits us to continuous improvements to prevent negative environmental impacts, enhance risk management and articular our policies and progress to monitor effectiveness.
- Sustainable Vineyards enables us to produce high quality wines, while meeting environmentally responsible standards around biodiversity, soil, water and energy.
- We are always in touch with the land, minimising our impact, only using what we truly need and returning what we can to the land.
- We allow the land to live as nature intended by bringing biodiversity directly to our vineyards and testing and trialling regenerative agriculture across 3.5 hectares, to improve soil health and increase carbon in our soil.
100% of own vineyards maintain permanent interrow plantings to improve soil health and biodiversity
- We have restored 35 hectares across the Jacob’s Creek waterways and the nature around it. Eliminating invasive species, and restoring native plants to encourage biodiversity
- 63 hectares of native plantings on our own vineyards to support native insects and provide habitats for wildlife
Renewables & Carbon reduction
- Our winery is home to the largest onsite winery combined solar installation in Australia. A 3.1MW system generates approx. 4000MW/year, equivalent to around 20% of our annual winery electricity consumption. Or powering 1000 homes in Barossa.
- In Australia, we are already using on and offsite renewable electricity. Our winery will use RE100 certified 100% renewable electricity by 2025.
- We are experimenting with new technology to store renewable energy through a Thermal Energy Storage System, in partnership with Glaciem, ARENA (Australian Renewable Energy Agency) and the University of South Australia.
- Minimising our impact means minimising the materials we use. Reducing materials and creating more sustainable packaging will significantly reduce the carbon emissions associated with producing and transporting wine. We will work with our partners to innovate and use 100% reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging by 2025.
- 99% of organic waste from our winery was diverted from landfill in FY21.
These projects have supported several award wins for Pernod Ricard Winemakers in recent years, including:
- 2021 South Australia Wine Industry Association’s Environmental Excellence Award. Also awarded in 2019, 2015, 2016 and 2018, the South Australia Wine Industry Association’s Environmental Excellence Awards Program aims to acknowledge wine businesses that go above and beyond the basics and implement improvements in the areas of energy and carbon, land and biodiversity, water and waste.
- 2019 Drinks Business ‘Green Company of the Year’ and runner up in 2018. This is the top award as part of the Green Awards. We won for the green initiatives being implemented across all areas of the company, down to individual employees.
- 2020 National Energy Efficiency Awards for Leading Energy User and Integrated Clean Energy
Our Sustainability & Responsibility Roadmap to 2030
Our roadmap addresses all aspects of our business from grain to glass. Each of our key pillars below set out ambitious goals and targets to drive innovation, brand differentiation and employee attraction. The strategy has been implemented throughout the business including measurement and reporting against these targets.
The pillars are:
1. Nurturing Terroir
2. Valuing People,
3. Circular Making
4. Responsible Hosting
Visit the Pernod Ricard website for more information: Sustainability & Responsibility | Pernod Ricard