DESSERT, SORTED: TRY NOT HAVING SECONDS OF THIS CHRISTMAS PAVLOVA
An Australian Christmas tradition, this elegant berry pavlova adds the wow factor to any celebration.
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 tbs cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 300ml thickened cream
- Mixed berries, to serve
- Fresh cherries, to serve
- 1 cups (250ml) orange juice*
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 100g strawberries, hulled, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 140˚C (120˚C fan-forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Draw a 20cm circle on the paper and turn over. Lightly spray with olive oil spray.
2. Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites and salt in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, whisking well after each addition until sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Add the cornflour, vinegar and half the vanilla. Stir until just combined. Use a large metal spoon to spoon the mixture onto the lined tray. Use a palette knife to shape into a disc, using the circle as a guide, and smooth the sides in an upwards motion to make a crown.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 120˚C (100˚C fan-forced). Bake for 11/2 hours or until pavlova is dry to the touch. Turn oven off. Leave the pavlova in the oven, with the door ajar, for 2 hours to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to whisk the cream and remaining vanilla until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
5. To make the strawberry syrup, place the wine or orange juice, sugar and strawberry in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 mins or until the syrup thickens and reduces by about half. Set aside to cool slightly. Strain the syrup through a sieve into a jug. Discard solids.
6. Place the pavlova on a serving plate. Spoon over the cream and top with mixed berries and cherries. Drizzle with strawberry syrup to serve.
*You can swap the orange juice with Le Petit Rosé to add the perfect shade to pink to your pavlova.